- A mop bucket or large container
- Plastic bag to line the bucket
- 4lb box of Borax (12 oz)
- 4 lbs of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
- Oxi Clean 4lbs (I bought the 5lb tub and have 1 lb left over)
- 3lb 7 oz box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
- 3 bars of Fels-Naptha
- 2 (13.2 oz) containers of Downy Unstopables (I used Fresh Scent-teal lid)
Line your bucket with plastic bag
Open up the Fels-Naptha bars and grate them in a large bowl, it will look like shredded cheese. I cut them in half to grate easier, note to self buy a grater. I had to use the grater on my salad spinner :) Don't even bother trying a blender FAIL! I saw some people used food processors to grate the Fels-Naptha, but I don't have one of those.
Layer all ingredients in the bucket and mix as you go. This helped keep the ingredients proportioned properly. (I used one container of Downy Unstopables during this first mix)
I bought the large apothecary jar at Walmart for $10 and a 2 tablespoon coffee scoop for $1.67, however you could use the cap from the Downy Unstopables.
I mixed and transferred the mix from the bucket into my jar, I added my second container of Downy Unstopables as it went into to the jar.
They say you only need to use 2 tablespoons per load. We went with 4 tablespoons to be on the safe and clean side.
Cost from Walmart:
- Borax $3.38
- Arm & Hammer Baking Soda $2.48
- Oxi Clean $9.47
- Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda $3.24
- Fels-Naptha (3 bars @ .97 each) $2.91
- 2 Downy Unstopables ($6.97 each) $13.94
- Total Cost without coupons: $35.42
*UPDATE- We have been using it and actually used 2 scoops (4 tbs) because we weren't sure the 2 tbs would cut it and I must admit the laundry smells really good and looks the same as it did before when we did laundry...clean! The fresh smell actually went through our house and it was like an instant air freshener. I think we will be doing laundry a lot to keep our house smelling so fresh and good. Happy Laundry Day!